"I just love the program...I especially appreciate how you have included the drugs, alcohol, and smoking angle. The kids were making connections between that and things we did for Red Ribbon Week. They seemed to finally realize that a younger person, maybe even someone the same age as them, could be a Tricky Person. I saw the "light bulb" go on in student after student...Thanks for doing that!" - Kim Bellomy, Counselor, Killeen ISD
This PowerPoint presentation, with three songs and six video lessons embedded in the presentation, wakes up and empowers children to protect themselves from the dangers of Tricky People (child predators). The Five Red Flags help children spot people who mean them harm so they can avoid danger. Children easily identify with the characters in the video and this draws them into discussion. Vital Yello Dyno safety lessons are reinforced through scenes from the Tricky People! DVD and are applied to lessons necessary for safety in everyday life. 15 Key Rules Are Taught: New invaluable lessons, plus key safety rules provide a new level of knowledge as children are able to take on more responsibility for their own safety.
1. Tricky People, it's what they ask you to do that matters. (Concept expanded - including an understanding of predators and victims. Plus, the concept is applied to anyone who lies or means kids harm, including those who offer drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.) 2. Too many details? Who's telling the truth? (New) 3. Too many details? Remember the "Context." (New) 4. I always ask first. (Reinforced)
5. I always have a buddy. (Reinforced)
6. I can take three steps back and run like the wind!
7. I know the Yello Dyno Yell! (Reinforced)
8. I trust my feelings.
9. I can say, No!
10. Cut the conversation. (New)
11. Just say, "Oh, well." (New)
12. I don't keep secrets that make me feel unsafe.
13. If someone is too charming, there is a problem, even if it doesn't show right away. (New)
14. PC: Privacy and Control. (New)
15. I know My Body's Mine! (Concept expanded) Plus, Students Learn Five Red Flags to Stay Safe in Everyday Life.
Curriculum Materials • Tricky People! Lesson Plan & Teaching Script
• PowerPoint CD (includes one song and seven DVD lessons embedded in the PowerPoint. Presentation follows the teaching script)
• Special Report #4: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde:
Recognizing The Secret Language of Child Predators • Tricky People! DVD • Raising Safe Kids! Teacher/Parent Handbook • Can’t Fool Me! CD • Fun Way to Safe Kids Song & Lesson Book
Note: Some materials are repeated in all curricula so several different teachers in the school can reinforce the lessons. Example: The Tricky People! video can be used by a substitute teacher. The music can be played while students are working on projects or music teachers can teach the safety songs. Materials can also be put in the library for parents.